Barangay Sta. Lucia
The present official name of the barrio is Sta. Lucia. It is bound in the western part of Tarlac revir and also it is a north of Brgy. Sulipa and also east bound of Brgy. Tangcaran. Way back in the year 1816 many places not yet settled, the government thought of naming and giving names of barrios, It was then the custom to have a united urban places, rural areas, and named town after a men who formed them and my theological characters. In Gerona, many Barrios were formed and named. STA. LUCIA was one of them. Before the barrio got its name, it was passed between the two political parties.
During the year mention above, STA. LUCIA was a wide track of land covered with a different plants and grasses. It was then like a wilder because there were no big and beautiful homes as found today, but instead tall grasses and many others plants like talahib, cogons, and other wild plants grow.
As times were on, it was found that this place was a land of promise and naturally people were lured to settle in it. It was in the year 1911 when the first settlers are Mr. Victoriano Ramos and Telesforo Pagaduan, the oldest man in the barrio began to build there home here. Many people from different places followed them. Through their wise guidance, good unity and cooperative reigned over the place. The tall thick grasses and trees were cut down and many houses were constructed. The residence thought of giving the name of the place. They brought the matter before the Municipal Councilor. A minority councilor by the name of Maximo Callao who also owned the wide track of land in the barrio claimed that the place must be named after him. That is why for some time the place was called CALLAO.
On the other side, of the place then called Callao was a sitio name Sta. Lucia. The recurring floods divided this two sitio, Sta.Lucia became smaller. When Don Fructuoso Sembrano was elected as Municipal President under the majority party. He ordered the president of the Nationalista party to change the name CALLAO TO STA. LUCIA in the honor of his daughter LUCIA. This women mention was rich for she had the wide track of land. The ordered of Municipal President was acted upon and the name Callao was authotically change into STA. LUCIA. From the time on Sta. Lucia remained as it is now. In the year 1912 it became a registered barrio the name Sta. Lucia. Formerly it has only one sitio named Sangcagolis, with the increases of population other sitios been added like Kabwaan and Tanap.
Like other people in a democratic government, the people of Sta. Lucia selected their leader by means of election. They gathered in one place and elect their leader. They elected Mr. Faustino Sagun as their Barrio Lieutenant.
There was nothing important that took place during the administration. As time went on, elections were held for the purpose of electing tenientes, Mayors. The following Mayors and teniente elected are chronologically arranged served in that Capacity.
- Mr. Luis Gapal
- Mr. Victoriano Ramos
- Telesforo Pagaduan
- Mr. Tomas Martin
- Mr. Guillermo Ramil
- Mr. Reymundo Ramos
- Mr. Mariano Guerrero
- Mr. Juan Facun
- Modesto Narciso
- Mr. Segundo Ramos
- Mr. Pablo Aquino
- Mr. Claro Esteban
- Mr. Ireneo Esteban
- Mr. Severo Aguilar
All elected barrio lieutenant made a good record and lead the community well. It was during the term of Mr. Victoriano Ramos when excellent performance was accomplished. He was called the building barrio lieutenant a church and tenencia was constructed during the term of service.
Sta. Lucia barrio a hiding place of the guerillas during World War II. These guerillas belonged to the Hendrickson unit. They even had their drilling and military practices in the barrio plaza to the amusement and fear of the barrio inhabitants. The stay of the guerillas in Sta. Lucia did not escape the notice of the Japanese Soldier. One day, they between Sulipa and Sta. Lucia. They males were searched for hidden fire dinner. In the afternoon for the day they were released.
From the time of their occupation, the Japanese have asked the barrio folks to materials from the people in the form of rice, eggs, camotes, pigs and chicken through the heads of the barangay and barrio Lieutenant. To forestall reprisals, the people were forced to give them.
In the years from 1913 to 1918 the people were happy and contented for they had a bountiful harvest. One cause which broke the happiness of the people was the coming of dreadful sickness of small fox. When this sickness comes the people of Sta. Lucia asked for help of sanitary division or inspector (sanidad) in the person of Mr. Ladislao Taberna was assigned in the place. He assembled all the people in the barrio plaza and gived them vaccination. It was in 1918 when smallpox was eradicated in the barrio. Just after smallpox again the people of Sta. Lucia suffered for the attacking rinderpest which attacked the working animals. The barrio lieutenant requested for a veterinarian to control the spreading sickness until totally control. Just after recovery of the said sickness there is again sickness comes what we called trangcaso was rampant in every houses. There was no home spated by the sickness. According to Mr. Telesforo Pagaduan death occured every day in the barrio for two month period.
During the Japanese occupation only the incident when males where rounded by the Japanese soldiers was the unforgettable incident. Out side of that there was safety contentment in the barrio.
The people took advantage of the war damage Act of help rehabilitate their homes and properties lost during the war. This is the history of Barangay Sta. Lucia.