Barangay AbagonDuring the Spanish regime in the later part of 19th century, there was a barrio east the place then called “Barog”. It was inhabited by Ilocanos, Pangasinanes, Pampangas and Tagalogs. It was sparsely populated. Generally, the people were peaceful, industrious, kind and generous. Their sole occupation was farming. They produce rice, corn, sugarcane and vegetables. In the year 1884, the much-awaited Manila Railroad passed the barrio. There was a sudden change in the mode of life of the barrio people. The sparsely-populated barrio became populous. People from other towns and barrios went there to live. One day when a passenger train stopped at the station, a certain Spaniard went down the car. His curious eyes saw many people with tanned skins who were loading and unloading a freight car. He was impressed with the strength and the industry of the people. Wanting to know the name of the barrio where these industrious people live, he called one of the laborers, asked him what was the name of the barrio. Having misinterpreted the Spaniard the laborer answered “Bagon”. He thought he was being asked the name of the freight car. The Spaniard nodded his head with satisfaction and went back to his car. He jotted down the name “Bagon” in his notebook. From then on, the Spaniards called the barrio” Bagon”, but later on the people who disliked it because it sounded and meant like freight ear, changed it into “Abagon” prefixing the letter. A to Bagon. Since then, the barrio became known as Abagon.